EMT Lesson One How to read music
- Understand and be able to recognise notes on the musical stave.
- Recognise and distinguish between the treble clef and bass clef.
- Introduce the use of ledger lines and be able to read notes above and below the treble and bass clefs.
- Introduce and understand the use of bars.
- Introduce and understand the use of time signatures.
- Introduce and understand how to read: whole, half, quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes and rests.
- Introduce and understand how ties and dots are used to develop rhythm.
Musical notes and the stave
Musical notes are written above, below, or on or a set of five lines called the stave. The stave looks like this.
There are seven (7) natural notes in music and these are called: A, B, C, D, E, F, G.
Next: Treble and bass clefs